A powerful story- The Last Girl





What an incredible and powerful story!!! I read this book in three days and could barely put it down. There are so many stories untold that need to be told- this is one of them.

Nadia is a part of a minority group, the Yazidis, that were caught in the middle of a war torn country and targeted and massacred by the ISIS. I had not heard this on the news, nor read about this on the internet.  It was sombering and cutting to the heart. As I read about her village and culture, it felt a little too much like home, like us. Families following their traditions, work life and social life.  It reminds me how privileged we are with safety while the Yazidis struggle with their very existence.

When deeds done in darkness come into the light, their darkness cannot stay. Light prevails. And then the world can be more accountable for what they do know now.

"The terrorists didn't think that Yazidi girls would be able to leave them, or that we would have the courage to tell the world every detail of what they did to us.  We defy them by not letting their crimes go unanswered.  Every time I tell my story, I feel that I am taking some power away from the terrorists."

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A special birthday

To see the world the way You do